Traditional or Agile: The outcome of your next software project doesn't have to be a mystery... Promise it, Plan it, Achieve It
Watch this quick video, and within less than five minutes, you’ll see why SEER for Software clients say Galorath’s SEER for Software simply makes software projects more successful.
SEER for Software - Estimating Software Development & Maintenance Costs
Project professionals face an endless vista of high-stakes forks in the road. Estimating, planning, analyzing, and managing complex software development projects feels like trailblazing through a dense jungle without a map. Right choice, you live another day; wrong choice, and your credibility, funding, and success record tumble over the side of a steep drop-off, landing with a thud.
“The single most important task of a project: setting realistic expectations… Unrealistic expectations based on inaccurate estimates are the single largest cause of (project) failure.” Futrell, Shafer and Shafer, Quality Software Project Management
What If You Could Buck the Trend of Project Failure?
It doesn’t matter the size of the software project – setting realistic expectations is always more complicated than it seems. Even more substantial or mission critical Agile projects require financial, total ownership cost, and time to market. You often need iron-clad answers the rest of your organization can count on, even when the project’s requirements and resources are in flux.
It’s no wonder a recent survey by Gartner reported that an average of 20% of software projects fail – and the bigger the project, the higher the failure rate. And Agile projects have a substantial failure rate too... when stakeholder expectations of time and cost are not met.
Will your next software development fail because of functionality issues, high cost variance, cancellation during delivery, or because they’re just not ready on time?
All You Have to Do Is…
Find a way to ensure you can foresee the unexpected, the unfeasible, the unachievable… and make a plan that works in reality. Cost, schedule, risk, reliability, staffing... all available for analysis and decision making. And SEER-SEM's 5 dimension earned value analysis can provide a clear picture of what lies ahead as a project progresses for traditional or Agile software.
SEER for Software equips you to make better decisions… even when you’re aiming at a moving target. What would happen with your next software development project if you could:
- Produce credible estimates based on a vast knowledge base built on the cold, hard numbers and data of projects highly-relevant to the one you’re planning?
- Provide rock-solid data to back the decisions you make in the planning process?
- Create verifiably realistic and achievable project plans?
- Evaluate impacts and trade-offs on cost and timeline of alternatives… instantly?
- Garner data gathered from thousands of completed software system projects and use it to provide invaluable insights to decision-makers?
"allaboutXpert has provided estimation services to its clients for well over 5 years and recently moved our technical offering to Galorath and more specifically the SEER for Software and SEER for IT products. These are world class products that have extended our current offerings and delivered significant value to our clients. Our engagements with the Galorath Management Team have been incredible, and is a relationship that embraces a true partnership. Along with the products the Galorath team brings a wealth of knowledge and practical experience to the table." --Dennis G., allaboutXpert.
What Would Happen If You Could See the Road Ahead?
You’d shift from working against the clock and against the odds to working with the almost unfair advantage of having a crystal ball in hand.
You wouldn’t be alone, though. Here’s how other companies in the software development world have used SEER for Software to address the same issues you face every day:
- Eliminate Uncertainty with Accurate Forecasts Thousands of users use SEER on of projects to forecast real-world outcomes by estimating software project costs, schedule, effort, reliability and risk.
- Lead the Project with Detailed, Achievable Project Plans SEER users not only produce highly-accurate cost and schedule estimates, they’re also able to use the estimates they create to produce actionable project plans – the kind of remarkably detailed plan that is fit to drive the project to completion.
- See Around the Curves for Superior Project Monitoring and Control Rather than relying on the usual rearview mirror approach to project management afforded by traditional methods, SEER users have the agility advantages of foresight. With SEER for Software, development drivers such as defect discovery and removal rates as well as scope creep become transparent, predictable, and manageable, never to take you by surprise again.
- Boost Confidence with Verifiable Reasonableness Every organization knows capturing benchmark data and applying it is a powerful way to make estimates for each new project more accurate than the last – and prior to using SEER for Software, that’s always been easier said than done. Built on a rich repository of industry-specific project histories, the estimates SEER produces will stand up to the most rigorous analysis. You’ll know what it should cost, period.
“SEER-SEM is an invaluable tool that allows us to provide timely, accurate and defensible software estimates for our clients. Compared to other software estimation tools I’ve used, SEER-SEM is by far the best.” -- Dan F., Cobec Consulting
Clear Foresight Also Means You Can Move Faster
Remember playing Blind Man’s Bluff as a kid? Blindfolded and spun around until you lost your sense of direction, the safest path was one you took slowly. Catching the other kids was tough because you couldn’t see.
But if you could just lift the blindfold, victory would be within reach.
It’s the same with project estimation. SEER for Software clients report dramatic increases in the confidence and speed of estimate and proposal creation. Here’s what they’ve discovered:
- They SEE whether their internal development teams’ cost and schedule estimates are on-target, because they can perform should-cost analyses quickly and easily.
- They NEGOTIATE better with outside vendors because all they have to do is run a quick, proactive, real-time assessment to gain certainty about what’s reasonable.
- They KNOW, with uncanny accuracy, what their competitors are likely to deliver in estimates.
- They SUCCEED in producing more winning proposals faster than their competitors, and with full confidence that the estimates behind the proposals are accurate.
- They GRASP the total cost of ownership for software projects because they understand the impacts the cost of software maintenance on the bottom line.
- They CHOOSE more wisely between creating or buying the software they need. By running some quick analyses, they can evaluate the costs and benefits of making or buying rather than making costly assumptions.
- They USE SEER on a daily basis to estimate, analyze, evaluate, and control project costs, schedules, and risks because they know the value of replicating real-world outcomes.
Agile Projects Need Management Level Estimates Too
It would be great if business could always live with the premise of Agile: build until you are satisfied. But businesses live or die with mission critical software. And time to market can be the difference between a major success or a huge failure. So anticipated effort, schedule, total ownership costs, reliability, and risk can be the difference between mission accomplished and mission impossible.
Developers View, Don't Need Estimates But They Need Reality Checks: The developers view that Agile projects don't need estimates, represented by the #noestimates movement has merit from their perspective. They will keep developing until the customer is satisfied. The customer may not know the scope of things. No estimates means no missed expectations of time wasted on administrative activities. Agile also provides a framework for managing development & developers. Just estimating the number of sprints or equivalent does provide a rough order of magnitude, but it is based on opinions and subject to unintentional bias and disappointments. Nobel prizes were awarded on obtaining estimates that approximate reality. SEER-SEM supports this risk reduction planning approach.
Small or Non-Critical Projects Don't Need Estimates: If an unsubstantiated promise is good enough, cost or schedule is not a consideration, or if total ownership costs are not of concern, there is no need to estimate.
Business Needs Estimates For Critical Decisions: If the business needs to make decisions based on software cost or schedule, time to market, Return on Investment, total ownership cost, then estimates are critical.
Software Portfolio Planning & Analysis: Rightsize your organization so you know annual staffing requirements, what the software budget should be, and where outsourcing may fit into your corporate strategy. Additionally use SEER-SEM portfolio analysis to optimize the value, prioritize and determine which projects get executed within the budget and avoid the 90% complete syndrome with no resources to complete.
Supply Chain and Management Need To Quantify Value From Outsourced Software: Understanding what software should cost and what it will cost are important considerations.
Data Driven Estimates
You can develop estimates by specifying exactly which individual or groups of prior projects are used as the basis of estimate. SEER-SEM allows fully data driven estimates to be generated in addition to using the massive database Galorath has assembled.
Estimating Without Sizing... No Problem
Many organizations use size metrics such as functional sizing, lines of code, story points, or use cases. But it is not necessary perform a sizing study to use SEER-SEM. If you have data covering your completed system SEER-SEM can use that for your new systems by analogy or by mathematical definition.
Emerging And Future Technology: If You Can Conceive It SEER Can Estimate It
Commercial emerging technology such as augmented reality, virtual reality, artificial intelligence, machine learning, everything on demand and and anything the imagination can dream up.
SEER-SEM estimates those too, using parameters describing the complexity and challenges.
Military or aerospace challenges or TRL issues? No problem. SEER-SEM can estimate software with lower technology readiness (TRL) levels. If you can conceive it SEER can estimate it.
Make Vital Decisions with Complete Clarity
With the right information on-hand, you can make critical decisions about software projects faster and with more certainty. Knowing your plans are realistic, objective, executable, and defendable makes your project far more likely to succeed.
The Galorath team’s hundreds of years of combined experience in project estimation, process design, cost analysis, project management standards and best practices can make your next software project a success. You can find more information at the following links:
If you’d like to see SEER for Software in action, contact us for a demonstration.